My Approach to Tutoring
My teaching approach includes making the student feel comfortable by establishing a comfortable atmosphere and rapport. Getting to know the individual and talking to the parents is important for the student/teacher relationship to grow. I find out what areas are covered with the homework assignments and build on the skills needed for the progress of each lesson. I also review work to reinforce the learning process. For reading lessons, I include an emphasis on phonics, pronunciation, and word development through oral reading and usage in writing and speaking. I monitor progress and adapt instruction according to the needs of the student. I often make suggestions to the student and parents to enhance the success of each session and to ensure that each step is a building block to measure the proficiency and mastery of each skill. I understand the value of education and wish to be a part of improving students' skills by building their confidence as well as their academic success.
My Tutor Profile
Reading, English, Language Arts & Writing - Grades K-12
Math - Elementary
Arcadia University - Master of Education, Reading Specialist
Hampton University - Bachelor of Science, Secondary English Education
Summary of my Experience
- Designed remedial and supplementary instructional lessons focusing on English, writing, and reading skills.
- Delivered individualized and small group instruction to elementary, middle, and high school students.
- Assessed students' reading proficiency levels at beginning, middle, and end of school year using various tools in addition to on-going evaluations.
- Monitored students progress and adapted instruction to support academic achievement.
- Maintained on-going records of students' work and assessments.
- Recorded individual student progress on report forms.
- Collaborated with colleagues in planning and implementing lessons using classroom and supplementary materials.