My Approach to Tutoring
Every student has different needs, so I alter my approach to suit each one. I prefer to spend the first several sessions getting to know a student and determining the method he or she responds to, and assessing specific skills to address. If a particular style isn't effective, we change course and try something else.
One important aspect of education is that the student practice problems under the supervision of the tutor and continue to work outside of the tutoring session. As anyone who has watched an athlete on television or listened to a musician can tell you, understanding a performance does not mean you can do it yourself without practice!
The ultimate goal is understanding of the material and developing skills that will last through the student's academic career. Surviving a single test or course is only a short term solution. I try to cultivate techniques that a student can use on his or her own to master subject matter and earn good grades.
My Tutor Profile
Math, Physics, Chemistry, SAT/ACT, SSAT/ISEE, Computer Science
BS in Mathematics Penn State University
MS in Mathematics Drexel University
Summary of my Experience
- 10+ years university level class room experience
- Classroom sizes from 9 - 200 students
- Calculus (I - IV), Statistics, Linear Programming, Linear Algebra
- Introduction to Computer Science, Programming (I and II)
- Pioneered Integration of Internet Technology and Education
- 7+ years tutoring experiece
- SAT, Math subject test, ACT
- SSAT, ISEE
- High School Math and Science
- AP Calculus, AP Statistics
- Former Defense Department Contractor (Defense Logistics Agency)
- I'd tell you but I'd have to put you in a box and ship you somewhere